Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fighting for the dream



Steel Dama Rama Jamas day starts very early and is busy from the first second. Her life has been a struggle against time since she was a single parent - then started her journey towards a life with education.


Photo: Nare Mizoory
 
By Nare Mizoory
 

I called Rama Jama. I'm originally from Somalia. I am alone with five children and are now primary school through adult education. I dream of becoming a journalist.
The Jama wrote about himself NRK when she applied to be part of the Norwegian reality show Norwegian enough? . As she searched, she was 95 percent sure she was not going to attract interest.
The day after the application was submitted, started at six in the morning, and was as hectic as usual: Five children were awakened from a deep sleep. All should be helped with both dress and preparation of lunch.Three of the children aged 3-11 years were to be sent away to school, and two were to be followed to the nursery, which is located about 30 minutes walk away from the apartment as a family of six live in.
Little did the active and energetic lady that a phone call from NRK was what awaited this day. She was entering the gateway to the nursery when the phone rang. With one child in each hand, she could still answer the phone, but pretty short.
- NRK barely had to present themselves before I said I had to call them up again. I had a chance to talk to them at the time, said Jama, shaking his head.
But finally got the answer. NRK and Rama Jama, from the  Norwegian enough? has been in contact with each other since both the phone and during interviews and auditions. Jama said she had to go through 3-4 auditions before she finally got to know that she had come with.
- Why did you apply?
- The title of the Facebook link Broadcasting Corporation shared was: We live in Oslo, we know each other?  It sounded interesting. I amazesme that people from different cultures are not familiar with each other, not friends or invite each other home. Most of my friends are Norwegian. I knew I divorced me like a Somali lady, and I would disprove the stereotype category I invested in by people who do not know me, says Jama clearly engaged.
She makes it clear that not all Somali women are equal.
 There are many out there who work hard every day to develop and integrate themselves into society. Not all Somali women are stay at home mothers who just give birth and suitable housing.
As soon betrays the lady about the challenges she got.  Double Liabilityshe calls it. She had two roles.
- I had to both defend hijab carriers and Somali women, because it affects my identity. I was not grumpy or annoyed for the comments and questions I received during shooting days, but I felt a great responsibility because I had to answer all questions connected with Somali women and hijab.
In the face of loneliness
Jama says that while she saw herself on TV, poured it into the SMS greetings from family, friends and acquaintances.
- They told me they were proud of me who dared take responsibility publicly and show who I am.
As she read through praise, she felt tears rolling down her cheeks.
- I realized how lonely I was at that moment I needed one most. There was no one present who could share the joy with me, she says.
War for the children's schooling
Jama has been a single parent for about three years. Her life has since been a battle against time. She even describes the struggle as a war. Yet she does what she can as well, namely a broad smile. 
Jama is aware of the responsibility that comes with having children. It is not just to feed them and give them shelter. Being a parent is all about presence.
- I need to track their children's schooling. I must see them grow, make sure they are safe and help them become better at school. And it is not only just when one is alone in raising five children, but I'm not complaining, she says.
Alone Mom takes just as much part of each of their children's lives. She shows up at a parent, she is FAU Representative 6 class, where one of her children attend. She has been with the Independence Day Committee for the class to his 9 year old son.
- They are the best I've gotten out of my marriage. My kids require a lot of time, but they give me too much support and strength. As a mother I get the opportunity to develop my personality. The two oldest tells me that they are fortunate to children because they have a strong and ambitious mother. I do not regret one minute that I married because I had my children.
The goal as a light
Jama was illiterate in their homeland. She taught herself to eventually write letters although she did not benefit from it, and she learned it by himself. When she came to Norway, she got the opportunity to reach their goal, but the marriage ended.
- I've always had a dream to become educated. Certain matters in my life held me back. Eventually I began to think that it was a shame not to seize the opportunity. Finally I managed no more, says Jama.
She describes the "dream" as a light shining through the windows. The light will not disappear until she reaches the target. Some when she lost courage, facing the light back stronger.
- When are the light in my window pane and waving to me, to remind me I still have not reached the goal, but I'm well on the way, she says.
- Do you get time to yourself?
- I must get to. In my class I have duties as student council representative.There is a lot of and responsibility in everyday life, but it's nice to have so much confidence. You're not kidding with responsibility to take on - you have a post you must do your very best.
Want to be a journalist
she can not be inhibited by daily challenges. She has a dream to fulfill. The first thing she thinks of when she wakes's education, and she uses her last minutes alone to reflect on the day.
- I wonder if I could have done something different in upbringing. I think after I've managed to hurt anyone during the day. I will lay me with a clear conscience and get a good night's sleep.
The dream is to become a journalist. She tells about a memory from his childhood in Somalia.
- We were visited by men who gathered in the guest room. They always listened to the radio. I remember that I stood outside the door to the room to listen for radio voices. The job they have fascinated me, and I thought that it would work with when I grew up. In Norway, the conditions made for that I can take an education. She proves that she will continue to stand up energized in the morning until she has fulfilled the dream.Meanwhile, she continues to fight.
FACTS: 
Jama is a participant in the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation program "Norwegian enough?"

- was illiterate. She taught herself to write in Somali in their home country 
- Lived in Oslo since 1999 
- Mom to five children aged 3-11 years 
- Going on primary adult in Helsfyr 
- Dreaming of becoming a journalist 
- Most of her friends are ethnically Norwegian 
- Three words about himself: talkative, positive and engaged
Source: utrop.no

No comments: