Monday, January 28, 2013

New Writer at AfriCom

by gallaghorical

YWAM AfriCom is pleased to welcome Sarah Gallagher to join us to experience work with the communications team for YWAM Africa while at the same time do a DTS with YWAM Muizenberg…



Sarah Gallaghe


Three weeks ago, I was sitting at my desk at home in the states, emailing ministry leaders and sipping coffee to ward off the chill as winter seeped into my apartment. I was juggling social media accounts, phone calls, and grant-application tips all while cramming my summer clothes into a couple of baggy suitcases.

Today, I am sitting at a desk in the AfriCom office in Cape Town, South Africa, where a cool breeze is blowing through the open window to tame the summer heat. Tea is now my drink of choice, and rather than facilitating resources for those in the trenches of long-term missions, I am ankle-deep in missions work myself. God put South Africa on my heart back in 2007 and 6 years later, He has graciously brought me to this beautiful country. I first learned about AfriCom in June of 2012 when I was looking for ministry opportunities in South Africa involving communications. I studied English, journalism, and global studies during my time at University, and have been eager to be involved in long-term missions work since graduating last spring.

When I heard about AfriCom, I was eager to learn everything I could about the work they are doing to invest in missionaries committed to and serving at YWAM bases in Africa. I spent the past year-and-a-half as a team manager for a grant-giving ministry and had the privilege of interacting with ministry leaders serving in a variety of communities all over the world. During this time, God reaffirmed my strong desire to be involved in long-term missions. I was familiar with YWAM and was very compelled by South Africa, so once I realized that AfriCom is located in Cape Town, I was very eager to find out more.

By the grace of God, I am able to be a DTS student while simultaneously completing an internship with AfriCom to see if this might be a long-term placement. I am enjoying hearing from other missionaries who have been serving in Africa or in other parts of the world for an extended period of time. The YWAM community is so vibrant and diverse here in Muizenberg and I am learning a lot from the experiences and stories of others. I am looking forward to diving into more projects with AfriCom over the next few months and am excited about all of the ministry opportunities that lie ahead in South Africa.

It is evident that God is at work in many areas throughout Cape Town. I am looking forward to connecting with locals and meeting needs in South Africa as well as discovering needs at other YWAM bases throughout Africa and investing in the lives of those doing ministry at other bases. It is a privilege and blessing to be partnering with so many inspiring people who have also responded to God’s call to this area. May we grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ as we seek to know God and make Him known!

No comments: